By the time the Titanic’s First Officer ordered the ship to divert course and avoid the obstacle, it was too late. The unsinkable suffered from the unthinkable. The Titanic’s right side had struck an iceberg, piercing five of its watertight compartments. As water filled the now faulty compartments, the ship sank slowly. Over a thousand passengers perished in the icy waters of the North Atlantic.

90% of an iceberg lies beneath the surface.New 2

A story incorporates more than the directly evident. The plot may be simple on the surface, but the implications and ideas the story conveys are often quite complex. Hemingway had a theory that omissions could actually strengthen the story. Hemingway’s straightforward writing style and relentless disposal of the non-essential encouraged for much of the story to take place within the reader’s imagination.

90% of the story lies beneath the surface.

We often make rash judgments based upon visual appearance. It’s easy to assume that we know the whole story based on a few obvious characteristics. Our assumptions can be favorable or negative, but we’re drawing conclusions from insufficient information either way. When introducing ourselves, we share a few linchpins of our identity; we don’t recite our entire life story.

90% of the individual lies beneath the surface.

Rarely do we share 100% of ourselves with others; it’s uncomfortable and it takes too long. Does the 10% you reveal to others strengthen your story or hurt it? Is the 10% a front? A mask? Does it align with your values? Why shouldn’t that 10% be a distillation of the remaining 90% of yourself; a reflection of your core being?

What’s beneath the surface of your iceberg? How do you share it with others?


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *